Near Petroleum in Ritchie County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Ritchie County / Wirt County
Erected 1964 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
Location. 39° 7.857′ N, 81° 17.964′ W. Marker is near Petroleum, West Virginia, in Ritchie County. Marker is on Staunton Turnpike (West Virginia Route 47) one mile west of Cairo-Cisco Road (County Road 15), on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petroleum WV 26161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Kootaga (approx. 3.7 miles away); Wells Lock and Dam No. 3 (approx. 6˝ miles away); Cairo & Kanawha (approx. 6.6 miles away); Beauchamp-Newman Museum (approx. 6.8 miles away); Wirt County Honor Roll (approx. 6.9 miles away); Elizabeth (approx. 6.9 miles away); Historical Elizabeth (approx. 6.9 miles away); Volcano, West Virginia (approx. 7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Ritchie County, West Virginia. In 1911, historian Minnie Kendall Lowther published "The History of Ritchie County." Her book is still regarded as one of the most comprehensive histories of any county in West Virginia. (Submitted on February 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Wirt County, West Virginia. Burning Springs was the site of an oil rush in the 1860s. In 1863 the town was burned, along with 100,000 gallons of oil, by Confederate cavalrymen. (Submitted on February 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.