Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Colorado County Courthouse
This classic revival building - erected in 1890-1891 in form of a Greek cross - is now one of 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas' 254 counties.
Contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnson built the structure of brick and Belton stone. Local Masonic Lodge laid cornerstone.
In 1909 a tornado severely damaged building. Large bell in cupola-clock tower fell 120 feet and was completely buried in the earth. $15-a-month job of clock-winder was subsequently canceled. During repairs, present copper dome was added. In 1939 entire building was remodeled.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8829.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 29° 42.359′ N, 96° 32.422′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Milam Street (State Highway 52 Spur), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the west side Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Spring Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colorado County (a few steps from this marker); Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbus State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Colorado County, 1837, and Robert "Three-Legged Willie" Williamson (within shouting distance of this marker); William Menefee (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rangers of Austin's Colony (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (within shouting distance of this marker); Tumlinson Family (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 28, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on February 15, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on February 28, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.