Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vero Beach in Indian River County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Riomar Clubhouse Saint Edward's School

 
 
Riomar Clubhouse-Saint Edward's School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, February 14, 2017
1. Riomar Clubhouse-Saint Edward's School Marker
Inscription.  During the early 1920’s, three Cleveland, Ohio physicians established Riomar as a private winter resort for themselves and their families. The facilities included a clubhouse and guest cottage on what is now Riomar Drive, a nine-hole golf course and a beach house. This building on Club Drive was the second clubhouse. It was built c. 1929, and is one of Vero Beach’s oldest permanent structures on the barrier island between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean. Its Mediterranean Revival style with a stucco exterior and perky cypress interior was popular in Florida during the 1920’s land boom. A center for the area’s social activities, Riomar attracted many permanent residents and winter visitors to Vero Beach.

In 1965 the c. 1929 clubhouse and guest cottages were purchased by Saint Edward’s School, an Episcopal day school with 33 students, grades 5 through 8. In 1972 an Upper School campus was opened on A-1-A south of here. The clubhouse continued as Saint Edward’s Lower School and now houses pre-kindergarten through grade 6. The building was renovated in 1988, but maintains its original character.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1991 by Saint Edward’s School in cooperation with the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-330.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationSports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 27° 38.46′ N, 80° 21.392′ W. Marker was in Vero Beach, Florida, in Indian River County. Marker was at the intersection of Club Drive and Old Oak Lane, on the left when traveling north on Club Drive. Former location of the school and marker is now a development of 10 homes. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 2225 Club Drive, Vero Beach FL 32963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Breconshire (approx. 0.7 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. 0.8 miles away); Veterans Walk (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pearl Harbor Survivors Association (approx. 0.9 miles away); Heroes All (approx. 0.9 miles away); To Those Who Paid The Supreme Sacrifice (approx. 0.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial Island Sanctuary (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vero Beach.
 
Regarding Riomar Clubhouse Saint Edward's School. The clubhouse/school was
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
demolished in 2013.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photo   1. submitted on February 5, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=130537

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024