Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
— Iron Works Superintendent —
The Trial Run
For nearly a year the settlers of Cedar City labored to establish a new iron foundry on the banks of Coal Creek and by Sep. 29, 1852, the community was ready for a trial run of the new furnace. The entire town – men, women, and children –
Statue by Kreg Harrison
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is September 30, 1852.
Location. 37° 40.707′ N, 113° 3.719′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on North Main Street (Utah Route 130) south of West 65 North Street (West Harding Avenue), on the right when traveling south. Marker and life-size sculpture are located along the sidewalk, directly in front Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 57 North Main Street, Cedar City UT 84720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Stockman (within shouting distance of this marker); Cedar City Founder (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cedar City Tabernacle (about 500 feet away); The Social Hall (about 600 feet away); Ward Hall (about 600 feet away); Heroine of China (approx. 0.2 miles away); Escalante Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cedar City Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
More about this marker. Marker is a laser-printed metal plaque, mounted horizontally, at waist-level, on a metal post.
Also see . . . Richard Harrison. Richard Harrison's main occupation in Cedar City was as one of the ironworkers. In May 1852, he was appointed superintendent of the initial ironworks and began plans for constructing the iron operation. With the help of others, Harrison began construction of a blast furnace, foundry, pattern shop, coke and charcoal ovens, waterwheel and other structures. When the ironworks was reorganized, Harrison became superintendent of the molding department. His specialty as molder was reheating iron and forging it into useful implements. He was a shareholder in the enterprise and in 1853, he became a member of the newly-formed iron council. (Submitted on March 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.