Adams Morgan in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ambassadors of Faith
Roads to Diversity
— Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
Many serve as unofficial “embassies” representing the interests of their faiths before the U.S. Government. The neo-Baroque National Baptist Church, to your right, is a memorial to Roger Williams, founder of Rhode Island and champion of religious liberty. Its congregation has long worked for social justice and community betterment. The Carlos Rosario Public Charter School (1970) and the Academy of Hope (1980), both schools for immigrant and low-income populations, have met here.
The Peace King Center of the Unification Church, to your left, home to the followers of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon since 1977, was originally the Washington Chapel, Church of Latter-Day Saints. Completed in 1933 with some 16,000 blocks of marble brought from Utah, it drew from the modern style of the Morman Tabernacle in Salt Lake City. The church moved to Kensington, Maryland in the 1970s.
All Souls Church dates from 1877, and its current neo-Georgian
Erected 2005 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Adams Morgan Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 55.545′ N, 77° 2.196′ W. Marker is in Adams Morgan, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 16th Street, NW just south of Harvard Street, NW, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Social Justice (a few steps from this marker); Polish-U.S. Diplomatic Relations (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Embassy of the Republic of Poland (about 400 feet away); Everyday People (about 600 feet away); Fashionable 16th Street (about 600 feet away); Francis Asbury The Latino Community (about 700 feet away); Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adams Morgan.
More about this marker. [Caption, picture in upper right]:
Washington churches on the hill overlook the city, 1935.
[Caption, picture in center]:
As All Souls Church’s first Black senior minister, Rev. David Eaton (1932-1992) led the church in social activism and service.
[Caption, picture on right, center]:
Demonstrators march from All Souls Church to protest the martyrdom of Rev. James Reeb, left, 1965.
[Clipping of Washington Post article (March 11, 1965) re: the assault on Rev. James J. Reeb in Alabama.]
[Caption, picture on left, below center]:
Academy of Hope graduate Lisa McBride and son.
[Caption, picture group on lower left]:
All Soul’s Parishioners, President William Howard Taft, left, and Senator Adali Stevenson.
Also see . . .
1. All Souls Church - history. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Adams Morgan Heritage Trail markers that have been entered in the Historical Marker database. (Submitted on March 20, 2009.)
The Adlai Stevenson pictured was never a Senator--rather a Governor and not a resident of the District. His son, Adlai III, was a Senator.His grandfather, Adlai I, was a Congressman and Cleveland's VP.
— Submitted April 7, 2012, by Charles Nau of Washington, District of Columbia.
Additional keywords. Family Federation of World Peace and Unification; FFWPU; Mount Pleasant; Columbia Heights
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights •
More. Search the internet for Ambassadors of Faith.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,160 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on March 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on May 11, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.