Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built circa 1870 for William H. Russel, the house was purchased by Joseph James Cocke in 1885. Its architecture features a mixture of late Greek Revival and Victorian styles that reflects the architecturally stylistic transition that occurred in Texas during that period. The house was restored in 1975 by Thomas Sweeney III, who discovered the identity of the original owner.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 25° 54.224′ N, 97° 30.232′ W. Marker is in BrownsvilleTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 East St Charles Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alonso Building (a few steps from this marker); Alonso Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Rock/Gomez House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock-Gomez Residence (about 500 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away); Majestic Theatre (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Russell/Cocke House. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Also see . . . Russell/Cocke House (1872). This home was built for lawyer W.H. Russell. In 1885, this transitional Greek Revival/Victorian style house was bought by J.J. Cocke, an engineer and surveyor. The house remained in the Cocke family until the 1920s. (Submitted on March 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.