Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fruitland Park in Lake County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Casino

 
 
The Casino Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 20, 2019
1. The Casino Marker
Inscription.  In 1914, George T. Clark built a community center for the residents of Fruitland Park on the property of his Gardenia Hotel. Known locally as the Casino, the building was designed in the Frame Vernacular style with wood-framed construction, a metal roof, a wide porch, low eaves. and a breezeway. When completed, it contained a large stage and ladies' and men's dressing rooms, each with their own bathroom. The Casino also featured amenities such as running water, electric lights, and steam heat. It began serving as a meeting place for civic organizations such as the Fruitland Park Improvement Association and Fruitland Park Chamber of Commerce. During World War I, women and school children met there to knit mufflers, sweaters, and socks for servicemen. In 1920, William G. Dwight and his wife, Minnie, purchased the building from Clark. The building continued to host social functions and serve as a meeting space for various community organizations. William Dwight died in 1930, and Minnie maintained ownership of the Casino until 1950, when she donated it to the City of Fruitland Park. The Casino was listed on the National Register of Historical Places
The Casino Marker and new library image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 20, 2019
2. The Casino Marker and new library
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 2015, but was razed in 2017.
 
Erected 2017 by The City of Fruitland Park and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-1035.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
 
Location. 28° 51.508′ N, 81° 54.804′ W. Marker is in Fruitland Park, Florida, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of West Berckman Street and Rose Avenue (County Road 468), on the right when traveling west on West Berckman Street. The former site of the Casino is now the Fruitland Park Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 West Berckman Street, Fruitland Park FL 34731, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lady Lake Train Depot (approx. 4 miles away); Baker House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Attorney Virgil Darnell Hopkins (approx. 7.7 miles away); Adamsville (approx. 7.8 miles away); Oak Grove Cemetery Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.6 miles away); Royal School Site (approx. 11.3 miles away); Lake County Courthouse (approx. 11.7 miles away).
 
The Casino image. Click for full size.
By The Villages-News
3. The Casino
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 20, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=131265

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2021