Rocky Ford in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First County Seat
Between 1765 and 1770 a group of settlers, mostly from North Carolina, settled and received grants for land in the vicinity of what is now Rockyford.
Among these first settlers were, Benjamin Lanier, Lemuel Lanier, Valentine Hollingsworth, Francis Jones, Thomas Mills, Anthony Bonnell, Abraham Mincey, Robert Dickson and Michael Dickson.
The first county seat of Screven County was established here on Dec. 14, 1793, and the home of Benjamin Lanier, across Mile Branch from this marker, was the first Court House.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1828.
Location. 32° 40.138′ N, 81° 49.468′ W. Marker is in Rocky Ford, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Scarboro Highway Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Ford GA 30455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scarboro (approx. 4.3 miles away); Union Meeting House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Louisville Road (approx. 8.8 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 8.8 miles away); Cooperville (approx. 8.8 miles away); a different marker also named Union Meeting House (approx. 10.4 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 10.4 miles away); Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill Pond (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Screven County. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry:
Rocky Ford was designated as the first county seat in 1793 but was replaced by Jacksonborough in 1797. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,596 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.