Plano in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Plano
The First Christian Church was established in the mid-1850s on the Barnett farm. A small frame building served as both a school and church, with traveling ministers serving the church. In 1873, another church building was erected on the corner of East 16th Street and Avenue G in Plano. The structure consisted of one large room with a center aisle, coal oil lamps, and a single table serving as both a pulpit and communion table.
During the fifty-year period from 1899-1949 called the "Golden Age" by the members, the church experienced significant growth and a larger structure was built at East 15th Street on the corner of Avenue H. In later years another sanctuary was needed to accommodate continued growth.
An active part of the community since its beginnings, the congregation maintains an outreach program and administers scholarships that benefit the citizens of
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1715.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 1.193′ N, 96° 42.187′ W. Marker is in Plano, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 15th Street and H Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 813 E 15th St, Plano TX 75074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas Electric Railway Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plano High School and Gymnasium (about 400 feet away); Saigling House (about 600 feet away); Plano National Bank / I.O.O.F. Lodge Building (about 700 feet away); Mathews General Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Plano (approx. 1.2 miles away); Routh Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plano.
More about this marker. The marker faces the church building, on the opposite side of the driveway.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.