Millen in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The city of Millen began about 1835 at a site 200 yds. N.of this marker as the road side inn of Robert Hendricks Gray. In Nov., 1851 the Wayneborough and Augusta Rail Road was extended to meet the line laid though here in 1839 by the Central Rail Road and Banking Co., making this spot an important junction on one of the earliest railroad systems in the U.S.
Millen was apparently named for McPherson B. Millen, railroad superintendent, Savannah. Dec. 3, 1864, the old inn, the railroad buildings and the Confederate army warehouse here burned by the armies of Gen. Sherman [USA]. After the war the town was rebuilt & in 1881 was incorporated.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 082-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1851.
Location. 32° 48.127′ N, 81° 56.453′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millen GA 30442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Millen Junction (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wayside Home (about 600 feet away); Millen Fountain (about 700 feet away); Jenkins Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millen Flagpole (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jenkins County Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Wayside Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sherman at Millen (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millen.
Also see . . . Millen. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry:
Millen lies on the Ogeechee River in Jenkins County, approximately fifty miles south of Augusta. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,217 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.