Nicodemus in Graham County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Main Street Boom and Beyond
Nicodemus National Historic Site
"Nicodemus was growing into a busy little town. New houses were being built by people coming in. Different enterprises began to originate. Conditions began to improve."— Nettie Craig Teacher 1886
Main Street Nicodemus grew out of hard work and determination into a viable business district through the hands of former slaves. Zach T Fletcher became one of the town's most successful merchants after opening the first black business in 1878. A bank, law offices, two newspapers, a hotel, post office, several stores, and cafes lined these streets.
Abuzz with the prospect of securing a stop on one of the railroad lines to the expanding West, more than 25 new structures came in 1886. By the fall of 1888, Nicodemus residents knew a railroad would never come.
When the railroad bypassed Nicodemus, most merchants moved. Travel was deflected from Nicodemus to nearby Bogue. Despite this setback a few black merchants persevered — Zach and Thomas Fletcher, Nicodemus' perennial capitalists, still operated the Saint Francis Hotel, the livery stable, and a farm implement business. Jenny Fletcher, Zach's wife, ran a millinery shop. Jake Riley operated another livery stable and G.M. Sayers ran a general store — demonstrating determination, resilience, and commitment to a land they loved.
(marker background image captions)
Julia Lee's Cafι, 1920s
The cafι seated more than 30 patrons. The J.B. Crowley Grocery and General Merchandise operated here until the early 1900s.
Blow In Cafι, 1949
Fredonia and Ray De Priest owned the Cafι in the 1950s. A team of mules moved this building from Nicodemus township.
St. Francis Hotel, 1881
Owned by Zach T. Fletcher included a livery stable and coral. The Switzer family has live here since the 1930s.
The First Baptist Church, 1907
The first church established in Nicodemus. The original 1880 building is within the 1907. The congregation still meets in the adjacent building.
S.G. Wilson General Store, 1880
Built of locally cut stone, the store was purchased and operated by G.M. Sayers starting in 1896.
S. W. Green General Store, 1880
Became the Masonic Hall in 1893.
Post Office
Closed in 1953.
Priscilla Arts Club,1940s
Previously this structure was the Cracker Box School moved here from Nicodemus
Township.
Nicodemus Township Hall, 1939
A depression era project, is the community's center for social activities.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 39° 23.592′ N, 99° 36.876′ W. Marker is in Nicodemus, Kansas, in Graham County. It is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and 2nd Street, on the left when traveling east on Washington Avenue. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the Nicodemus National Historic Site Visitor Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Washington Avenue, Bogue KS 67625, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American Midwest, in the Corn Belt, on the prairies, and on the Southern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere.

Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 6, 2017
3. Nicodemus Historic District National Historic Landmark plaque (located near marker)
and Dugout House
has been designated a
National
Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America
1976
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Together We Gather (a few steps from this marker); St. Francis Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Mail From Back Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Nicodemus (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leaning On The Land (about 500 feet away); We've Come This Far By Faith (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Nicodemus Baseball History (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nicodemus.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Nicodemus (was about 400 feet away but has been permanently removed).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Nicodemus National Historic Site
Also see . . . Nicodemus National Historic Site (National Park Service). Founded by newly freed slaves in 1877, Nicodemus was a refuge from the Reconstruction-era South, a reflection of a mass black migration from the South to the Midwest after the Civil War.
An all-black outpost on the frontier, this “unsettled” land offered a chance for black farmers and their families to start anew. (Submitted on March 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)

Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 6, 2017
5. Marker background image: Nicodemus 1940
"A visitor here in 1918 found only two businesses in existence, one a restaurant with a "two-by-four counter, a box turned upside down for a table, and the rest of the fixtures of the same type
No stores remained in 1950, and three years later the government withdrew its post office there. The black haven on the Solomon had become almost a ghost town."
Norman Crockett in The Black Towns
Norman Crockett in The Black Towns
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2024. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.


