Granville in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
— 1780-1980 —
The Bishops purchased 2,000 acres within the present day bounds of the village and at these corners they built their home and trading post.
Within two decades, they had established an ashery, an iron foundry, and a grist mill and helped found the Granville’s Friends Society. By 1798, “ The Corners” numbered 400 residents.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 43° 24.476′ N, 73° 15.937′ W. Marker is in Granville, New York, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Mettowee Street and Quaker Street, in the median on Mettowee Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granville NY 12832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friends Meeting House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Granville Veterans Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Village of Granville Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Middle Granville (approx. 1.8 miles away); Erected 1789 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Braintree School (approx. 3.1 miles away in Vermont); Wells Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away in Vermont). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granville.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on April 3, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.