Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Battery B 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
— 3d Corps —
1st New Jersey
Fought here from
2 Until 7 O'Clock
on July 2, 1863.
Firing 1300 rounds
Losses, killed 1,
wounded 16, missing 3.
Erected by the State
of New Jersey 1888.
Sept. 3, 1861,
June 16, 1865.
Engaged in 26
all the important
actions on the Peninsula,
Erected 1888 by State of New Jersey.
Topics. This memorial is War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1863.
Location. 39° 48.08′ N, 77° 14.833′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is at the intersection of Sickles Avenue and Wheatfield Road, on the left when traveling north on Sickles Avenue. Located in Excelsior Field, near stop 10, the Peach Orchard, on the driving tour of Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 139th Pennsylvania Volunteers (within shouting distance of this marker); 7th New Jersey Volunteers (within shouting distance of this marker); Sickles' Excelsior Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); First Volunteer Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 10th Independent Battery New York Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); 15th New York Battery (about 300 feet away, measured 5th Massachusetts Battery (about 300 feet away); 73rd New York Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Clark's Battery at Gettysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,273 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.