Thurmont in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Buildings—Past and Present
The Central Trust Company was an impressive Greco-Roman building on the corner of Church and West Main Streets on the square. MAny local residents lost their life's savings when the bank met its demise during the Great Depression and the building was razed in the 1930's to make way for a small garage and filling station. The site is now the location of Turmont's new Mechanicstown Park.
2. The Match House —
Jacob Weller (Blacksmith), an early entrepreneur in the Thurmont community, saw some friction matches made in France and was intrigued with the idea. He developed the first friction matches in the United States, sometimes called "sulphur" or "Lucifer" matches. The original Match House was a one-story building and was probably a workshop rather than a residence. Today, the Match House is a two story residence located on West Main Street.
3. Stocksdale's Store —
George W. Stocksdale came to Mechanicstown (Thurmont) in 1868 and established a lumber business. He and his partner, John H. Chew, built a warehouse where they conducted the
4. The Gilbert House —
The Gilbert House was built by Jacob Weller, local Blacksmith, in the early 1800's and was the first hotel in "Mechanicstown" (Thurmont). The building has undergone several facelifts over the past several years but stands today on the square of East Main and North Church Street across from the new Mechanicstown Park.
5. Weller-Johnson House —
The Weller-Johnson House or Weller's Tavern a large stone house was also built by Jacob Weller, local Blacksmith in 1805 and served as the first inn/tavern for many years. The tavern was sold in 1856 to George Johnson and his wife. Located on the corner of West Main Street and Altamont Avenue, the house is currently a private residence.
6. The Acacia Masonic Lodge Building —
Acacia Lodge No. 155, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (A. F. & A. M.) had its beginning in 1871. The Masons are the oldest organization still functioning in Thurmont. The Masonic Lodge was chartered on November 30, 1871. A desire for the Lodge members was to own a Temple (lodge building) of their own. Their plans included strengthening the second floor and adding a third story to the Bussard Building, the present location of the lodge hall at 12 East Main Street in Thurmont. This dream was realized in 1898. The first and second floors of the building were rented out and served as a saddle shop, doctor's office, pharmacy and a post office. Today, the first floor is still being rented out and the Mason's use the second floor as a social room for the Masons and the third floor is the Masons meeting room. The Masons have made many generous donations towards the improvement of life in the Thurmont over its long history.
7. The Stoner House —
The Stoner House was built in 1838 and was located on East Main Street and named for Mayor William J. Stoner — It boasted exquisite wallpaper from France which was salvaged upon the demolition in 1961. That wallpaper at one time hung on a wall in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House in Washington, D.C. as part of the redecoration undertaken by First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy.
8. Old Town Hall and Fire Station —
This building was built in 1890 on North Church Street and was used as the Town Hall and Fire Station until 1950 when it was torn down. Firefighting resources have been made available in Thurmont since 1887. The service was reorganized in 1938 and from it grew the Guardian Hose Company.
*All of the murals on the Trolley Substation were made possible by grant monies and donations from individuals, businesses and organizations.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is November 30, 1871.
Location. 39° 37.374′ N, 77° 24.484′ W. Marker is in Thurmont, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of Alley 5 and East Main Street (Maryland Route 77), on the left when traveling north on Alley 5. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Main Street, Thurmont MD 21788, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thurmont Attractions (a few steps from this marker); Thurmont Rail History — The End of an Era (a few steps from this marker); Thurmont Memorial Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thurmont (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Thurmont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Creeger House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock (approx. ¼ mile away); To the Unknown Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thurmont.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 106 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.