Near Grand Detour in Lee County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
La Sallier's Cabin
Erected 1936 by Daughters of the American Revolution, Dixon Chapter.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list.
Location. 41° 53.371′ N, 89° 23.815′ W. Marker is near Grand Detour, Illinois, in Lee County. Marker is on Lost Nation Road, one mile south of South Lost Nation Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dixon IL 61021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Cabin Built for Hon. Joseph Crawford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Upper Ferry Landing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Grand Detour, Illinois (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Grand Detour Plow FactoryErected to the memory of Leonard Andrus founder of the village of Grand Detour Illinois 1835 (approx. one mile away); Lincoln in the Black Hawk War (approx. 5.1 miles away); Lincoln Supports Fremont for President (approx. 5.4 miles away); Ward T. Miller (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Detour.
Regarding La Sallier's Cabin. Location of the original cabin is on private property.
1. Biographical information on Pierre La Sallier (Le Sellier)
Some biographical information on Pierre La Sallier (also spelled Le Sellier, Le Sallier, Lasalière, and La Salière) can be found in the following sources.
A Compendium of the Early History of Chicago to the Year 1835, when the Indians left, by Ulrich Danckers and Jane Meredith (2000). Under the entry "Le Sellier, Pierre."
Early Lee County, being some chapters in the history of the early days in Lee County, Illinois, by William D. Barge (1918), on pages 1-10.
James Watson Webb's Trip Across Illinois in 1822, by Frank E. Stevens (1924), on pages 10-16.
La Sallier/Sellier built this cabin by 1822, and by 1829 ownership had been transferred to Stephen Mack, Jr.
— Submitted March 22, 2019.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2019. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on April 8, 2019. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2019. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.