Karnes City in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Seat of Karnes County; was founded in Christmas season, 1890, when a partnership headed by Otto Buchel bought 1,000 acres of land from J. L. Calvert for $5 an acre. The tract was near the geographic center of the county and adjoined the right-of-way of the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad.
The young town was first named Karnes in honor of Henry W. Karnes (1812-1840), Texas Ranger hero. Although a small, mild-mannered man, Karnes was conspicuous for his cool courage in battle. Red-headed, he was once beseiged by a group of Comanche women who attempted to wash the "berry juice" out of his hair.
When the first Karnes post office was established April 1, 1891, "City" was added to the name. The new town grew so fast that within three years citizens petitioned for an election to remove the county seat from Helena to Karnes City. The voters favored Karnes City two-to-one and the move was made January, 1894.
Having grown steadily since 1891, Karnes City has had seven newspapers, four banks, and many businesses. During the railroad boom, when a train was the most exciting way to travel, six passenger
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2900.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 28° 53.079′ N, 97° 53.886′ W. Marker is in Karnes City, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Calvert (Business U.S. 181) and South Esplanade Street, on the right when traveling east on East Calvert. Marker is located in front of the Karnes City City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 East Calvert, Karnes City TX 78118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Karnes County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Karnes County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph's School (approx. 5 miles away); Immaculate Conception Church (approx. 5 miles away); Town of Panna Maria (approx. 5 miles away); Panna Maria, Texas (approx. 5 miles away); First Store in Panna Maria (approx. 5 miles away); Pilarczyk Store (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Karnes City.
Also see . . . Karnes City, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.