Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kosciuszko in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Ann's Catholic Church

 
 
St. Ann's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. St. Ann's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1880, about sixty families of Polish descent (Silesian Poles) bought the land in this sparsely settled area. After their arrival, the town became known as Kosciuszko, named after the noted Polish American hero, General Thaddeus Kosciuszko. In 1892 the Polish settlers built their first Polish Catholic school, St. Ann's. It was a small one-room school, run by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. The Sisters lived in a room attached to the school.

In 1898, under the direction of the Reverend Stanislaus Przyborowski, then pastor of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Czestochowa, the people of Kosciuszko gathered together and built their first Catholic church for $2,000 plus donations. The small wooden structure measured 80 feet by 40 feet and was one of the largest churches in Wilson County at that time. Also named St. Ann's, the church was dedicated on October 27, 1898. It was a mission of Czestochowa for three years. In 1901 a rectory and cemetery were established. The first convent for the Sisters of Charity was built in 1918. By 1933 there were 146 families in the parish and the small wooden church was enlarged by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
25 feet.

The congregation continued to grow. A Polish choir and various societies were organized in the church over the years. In 1951 a new church building was erected. It had a modified Gothic design and included two sacristies, a baptistry and a large sanctuary. On October 25, 1998, St. Ann's Catholic Church celebrated its centennial. At that time, the parish consisted of 224 families. Parishioners continue to practice the traditions of their ancestors. St. Ann's Catholic Church remains the center of this small Polish Community.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12311.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 27, 1898.
 
Location. 29° 6.302′ N, 97° 57.102′ W. Marker is in Kosciuszko, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 541 and Farm to Market Road 1347, on the right when traveling south on Road 541. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8161 FM 541, Stockdale TX 78160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Fuerte del Cibolo (approx. 6.6 miles away); Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Cemetery
St. Ann's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. St. Ann's Catholic Church Marker
(approx. 6.8 miles away); Stockdale Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); John Reagen Baker (approx. 8.7 miles away); Harmony Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away); King-Lorenz House (approx. 8.9 miles away); Town Named for Governor F.S. Stockdale (approx. 9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Kosciusko, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
St. Ann's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
3. St. Ann's Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=131924

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024