Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Market House Museum
Site was dedicated to public use by City Ordinance No. 28, on Aug. 30, 1853. About 1871, market with 12 x 24-ft. stalls was put up at cost of $550, and rented to sellers of meat and produce.
In 1886 this became firehouse, with a meeting hall and a room for hook and ladder equipment.
Bell bought 1890 for $45 rang night hours and sounded alarms.
Home until 1964 of volunteer fire company, this building was restored in 1967 as a museum.
Incise on base: Marker sponsored by Volunteer Firemen and Auxiliary.
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places - 1972
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3217.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is August 30, 1853.
Location. 28° 40.016′ N, 97° 23.47′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is at the intersection of South Market Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 South Market Street, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goliad (within shouting distance of this marker); J. W. Fannin (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hanging Tree (about 400 feet away); Regulators of Goliad County (about 400 feet away); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (about 400 feet away); Goliad County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Goliad Lodge No. 94 A.F. & A.M. (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.