Helena in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Helena Courthouse
Soon after Karnes County was created and organized in 1854, a frame and clapboard courthouse was erected at this site in the center of Jefferson Square.
This rock structure was built in 1873 to replace the first courthouse and adjacent county clerk's office, which had been destroyed by a storm and fire following the Civil War (1861-65).
After county seat was moved to Karnes City in 1894, building was used as a school until 1945.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Incise on base: Sponsored by the Karnes City Businessmen's Luncheon Club
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3742.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 28° 57.007′ N, 97° 49.222′ W. Marker is in Helena, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 81 south of County Road 302. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Karnes City TX 78118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Helena Union Church (within shouting distance Helena (within shouting distance of this marker); Ox-Cart Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Ruckman (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's School (approx. 4.7 miles away); Immaculate Conception Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Town of Panna Maria (approx. 4.7 miles away); Panna Maria, Texas (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.