Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Post Chapel

 
 
Post Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2019
1. Post Chapel Marker
Inscription.  
Early in the twentieth century, the Presidio became the Army's most prestigious west coast installation. The Army began constructing Mission style buildings with white walls and red tile roofs to reflect the post's California heritage. This Post Chapel dedicated in 1931 is the only building elaborate enough [to] be described as Spanish Colonial Revival rather than Mission style.

Built of stucco-covered reinforced concrete, and capped by a red tile roof, the cross-shaped chapel has an attached bell tower with quatrefoil windows. Its most notable exterior feature is the Spanish baroque terracotta frontispiece that frames the entrance and the window above it. The high placement of the windows gives the chapel's interior a citadel-like feeling. Today the chapel serves as the Presidio Interfaith Center.
 
Erected by Presidio of San Francisco, National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionForts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
 
Location. 37° 47.958′ 
Left image image. Click for full size.
Park Archives
2. Left image
Standards of the units that served the Presidio were once displayed in the nave.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 122° 27.706′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is on Fisher Loop, 0.1 miles south of Sheridan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Fisher Loop, San Francisco CA 94129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sergeants' Row (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laundresses' Row (about 500 feet away); Sutler's Quarters (about 600 feet away); U.S.S. Oregon Marine Corps Memorial (about 600 feet away); San Francisco National Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Montgomery Street Barracks (about 700 feet away); Ammunition Magazine (approx. 0.2 miles away); North West Corner of Original Presidio (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
 
Also see . . .  Presidio Main Post Chapel Mural - San Francisco CA. Description of the fresco on the "The Living New Deal" website. (Submitted on April 19, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Middle image image. Click for full size.
Post Archives
3. Middle image
The stained glass windows by Willemina E. A. M. Ogterop were contributed by veterans' organizations. The window over the entrance memorializes the 30th U.S. Infantry who fought at the Second Battle of the Marne in 1918.
Right images image. Click for full size.
Top: Charity Vargas; bottom: Park Archives
4. Right images
Top: The detail of the Arnautoff fresco shows a Franciscan missionary in a gray habit and a Spanish soldier in a blue uniform with two native men in the center left. In the upper left corner are Concepcion Arguello and Nikolai Rezanov The building is the Officer's Club as remodeled in 1934 with the Golden Gate in the distance. To the right are a fur trapper, a miner and an Army officer.
Bottom: A Jewish Shavuot and confirmation service in the Post Chapel in 1954.
Post Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2019
5. Post Chapel and Marker
Post Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2019
6. Post Chapel
Left-side plaque in front of the chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2019
7. Left-side plaque in front of the chapel
The Judge Advocate General's Corps
29 July 1775 - 29 July 1975
To honor the officer, enlisted and civilian personnel who have served with distinction.
Right-side plaque in front of the chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2019
8. Right-side plaque in front of the chapel
The United States Army Chaplaincy
29 July 1775 - 29 July 1975
In commemoration of those who served their God and country these 200 years
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 19, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132480

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 4, 2022