Ozark in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Ozark Baptist Church/Church Pastors
Ozark Baptist Church
This church was organized August 13, 1848, under the leadership of Rev. U.H. Parker at the home of William Andrews, two miles east of Ozark, and called Andrews Church. It was renamed Union Baptist Church in 1852 and Ozark Baptist Church in 1902. The original building was erected in 1852 on land donated by Moses Matthews, near the church’s present site. In 1882 a larger facility was built and another in 1902 to meet the growing membership’s needs. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1955 and the multipurpose building in 1988. Two major mission efforts have been sponsorship of Ridgecrest and Logan Road Baptist Churches in Ozark.
Served between 1848 and 1899: U.H. Parker, L.R. Sims, Daniel Cumby, T.S. Due, W.H. Howell, Caswell S. Smith, Zachariah Harris, Pitt M. Calloway, James M. Poyer, Ransom Deal, P.L. Mosley, H.C. Hurley, J.W. Dickerson, Ransom Deal. Served between 1900 to the present: J.J. Haygood, 1900-03; J.S. Yarborough, 1905-06; J.L. Thompson, 1907-08; J.M. Anderson, 1909-10; A.L. Blizzard, 1910-11; M.L. Harris,
Erected 1998 by Ozark Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is August 23, 1848.
Location. 31° 27.379′ N, 85° 38.406′ W. Marker is in Ozark, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is at the intersection of South Union Avenue (Alabama Route 123) and West College Street, on the right when traveling south on South Union Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 282 South Union Avenue, Ozark AL 36360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Memorial (about 800 feet away); Dale Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The J.D. Holman HouseDowling - Steagall House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Atlantic Coast Line Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ozark.
Also see . . . Ozark Baptist Church. (Submitted on April 23, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2019, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2019, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.