Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Proctor-Green House

 
 
Proctor-Green House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. Proctor-Green House Marker
Inscription.  Harvard graduate and attorney David Cogswell Proctor established his law career in Indianola, Texas, in the late 1840s. He opened a second firm in 1880 in Cuero, fortunately before the 1886 hurricane that destroyed much of Indianola. Finding his place in the booming cattle town of Cuero, he bought this lot in 1880 from L.C. Fudge, who had purchased the land from the Cuero Land and Immigration Company. In 1892, Proctor hired Victoria architect James Hull to design a two-story house here. D.C. Proctor died in 1908, and in 1911 his wife sold the house to Judge John M. Green and his family. Green once served as a state legislator, and also opened a law firm with his son, Howard, who would continue to live here after his father’s death for many years. It remained vacant for a considerable time, but in recent years it has seen recognition and commendation as a historic landmark.

The house can be described as late Victorian, with a Queen Anne floor plan and Colonial Revival details. It includes two interior brick chimneys with corbelled caps at gable ends serving six fireplaces. The windows are stained glass, while the front entrance is composed
Proctor-Green House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. Proctor-Green House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of double doors with a transom. The south elevation contains a projecting bay with a pedimented gable. The gable has palladian windows with art glass. The stairway is reversed to begin at the far side of the hall. The house has been altered very little. The house is one of Cuero’s last remaining 19th century houses, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Terrell-Reuss Streets Historic District.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2015

 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18226.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 29° 5.589′ N, 97° 17.517′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on Terrell Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Terrell Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Heaton-Breeden House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Edward Mügge House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (about 400 feet away); St. Mark's Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away); Grace Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away);
Proctor-Green House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
3. Proctor-Green House
General August C. Buchel (approx. 0.2 miles away); DeWitt County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132621

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022