San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
Fue el primer teatro formal de San Luis Potosí. Fue construido por el arquitecto neoclásico Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras e inaugurado en 1827. Tiene forma de herradura para óperas. La cubierta era una bóveda plana, una innovación para su época, que fue destruida por un incendio a principios del siglo XX. La fachada de cantería es sobria y rematada con esculturas alusivas a la comedia.
This was the first formal theater in San Luis Potosí. It was built by the neocassical architect Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras and inaugurated in 1827. It is shaped like a horseshoe for operas. The cover was a flat vault, an innovation in its time, which was destroyed by a fire at the beginning of the 20th century. The façade work in stone is shadowy and finished with sculptures allusive to comedy.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. 22° 8.927′ N, 100° 58.488′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Potosí 78000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Agustín Temple (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Temple and Ex-Convent of San Agustín (about 120 meters away); San Agustin Temple (about 120 meters away); José Mariano Jiménez (about 150 meters away); La Cubana (about 180 meters away); Colón Garden (about 210 meters away); Germán Gedovius Gallery (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Museum of Masks (approx. 0.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Potosí.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.