J.J. Thompson's trail came down the canyon from Indian Gardens. A connection out the north end of Oak Creek Canyon wasn't completed until 1914 when the county stepped in. The new roads crossed Oak Creek 16 times and had tunnels.
Trails and dirt roads were the norm until 1938 when the state decided to pave the roads into Sedona. At this time they built Midgely Bridge. New and improved roads meant easier markets in Flagstaff and Phoenix. It was the 1950s before the cattle guard in Uptown was removed.
Erected by Sedona Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic
Location. 34° 52.068′ N, 111° 45.723′ W. Marker is in Sedona, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker can be reached from Hwy 89A. Located along the wall within a outdoor mall called The Shops at Hyatt Piñon. Next to a empty shop (C11). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 N Hwy 89A, Sedona AZ 86336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Settlers (here, next to this marker); Jessie "Bear" Howard (a few steps from this marker); Sedona Fire & Police Departments (a few steps from this marker); Cowboys (within shouting distance of this marker); Heart of Sedona (within shouting distance of this marker); Grasshopper Flat (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sinagua (within shouting distance of this marker); Elvis Plays Sedona (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sedona.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 28, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.