Anderson in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Anderson
Early settlers in Anderson date back to 1818 when James Anderson settled approximately a mile south of here. The earliest permanent settlement was located about one mile north of here on Anderson Creek around 1825 and was known variously as Anderson Creek, Anderson and, later, Old Anderson. Booker Foster arrived from Virginia in 1825 and, in 1835, built his home and a water mill on Anderson Creek in the vicinity of the bridge on CR 93. He later moved his mill 1/4 mile down the creek. Other mills on the creek included Moses Ingram at Ingram Hollow. In 1880, Richard and Jess Williams built the first cotton gin at the original location of the Foster Mill. The Anderson Creek Post Office was established in 1860 with A.D. Ray as postmaster. Anderson's first church, Hurricane Springs Primitive Baptist, was a brush arbor dating back to the 1800s. It was located near the Anderson Cemetery, one of the oldest cemeteries in Lauderdale County with graves dating as early as 1841. In February, 1926, Old Anderson was destroyed by fire and rebuilt at the present location. The Farmers Bank, built in 1926, was one of the first buildings at
In 1910. the first school, Howard, was built in Old Anderson to accommodate students from nearby Hammond and Union Schools. The next school in this area was opened in a multi-purpose frame building in 1913. In 1921, the Hammond and Bayles estate donated six acres of land 400 feet northeast of here for a six-room elementary school. From 1925 to 1937, three nearby schools (Powell JHS, New Georgia, and Union) closed and the students were relocated to Anderson. In 1935, a junior high school was built on land purchased north of the elementary school from the Bayles estate. By 1940, enrollment was 500 with 19 teachers. In 1947, a cafeteria was built. The next year Dr. L.E. Bayles purchased
Erected 2014 by East Lauderdale Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 34° 55.341′ N, 87° 16.187′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on Alabama Route 207 south of Hammond Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located at a playground between Dollar General and Woody's Tire and Auto. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anderson AL 35610, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hugh Pate Harris (here, next to this marker); Grassy Memorial Chapel and Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lauderdale County High School 1912 (approx. 6.7 miles away); Rogersville Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (approx. 6.8 miles away); Heritage Park (approx. 6.8 miles away); Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran / Burneys Creek/First Creek Wheeler Lake (approx. 6.9 miles away); Lamb’s Ferry Road (approx. 6.9 miles away); Springfield Community 1810/Springfield Church and School (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2019, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2019, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.