Bullittsburg in Boone County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Bullittsburg Baptist Church
It has been called the "Mother Church" because from 1800-1915 its members organized other churches within the tri-state area. Between 1871 and 1873, an outdoor keyhole baptismal pool was built of stone masonry at the site of a natural spring. Stone steps into the pool descend at the small end of the keyhole. Over
Church organized in June 1794 by Elders Joseph Redding and John Taylor and called the Great Bend of the Ohio Church. Name changed to Bullittsburg between Aug. 1795 and Aug. 1796. It was composed of seven charter members, most from Clear Creek Baptist Church near Versailles, Ky. Present sanctuary was built in 1819.
Erected 2012 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2367.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1794.
Location. 39° 5.399′ N, 84° 47.296′ W. Marker is in Bullittsburg, Kentucky, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington KY 41005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Point Farm (approx. 2.2 miles away in Ohio); Fort Finney (approx. 2.2 miles away in Ohio); Miami Fort / Fort Finney (approx. 2.2 miles away in Ohio); Lawrenceburg's First Hospital (approx. 3.1 miles away in Indiana); Whitewater Canal (approx. 3.1 miles away in Indiana); Isaac Dunn House (approx. 3.1 miles away in Indiana); Rescued Row Houses (approx. 3.1 miles away in Indiana); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 3.1 miles away in Indiana).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.