Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumberland Township near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

4th New Jersey Volunteers

 
 
4th New Jersey Volunteers Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
1. 4th New Jersey Volunteers Monument
Inscription.  
Trail Guard
Provost Guard
4th N.J. Vol's
July 2-3, 1863.

 
Erected 1888 by State of New Jersey.
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. 39° 48.286′ N, 77° 13.08′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. It is in Cumberland Township. Memorial is at the intersection of Granite Schoolhouse Road and Blacksmith Shop Road, on the right when traveling east on Granite Schoolhouse Road. Located near Powers Hill adjacent to Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 77th New York Infantry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery A, Maryland Light Artillery (about 600 feet away); Battery E, Pennsylvania Light Artillery (about 800 feet away); Battery M, 1st New York Light Artillery (approx. 0.2 miles away); McAllister's Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); 12th Corps Headquarters
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Batteries B & L, Second U.S. Artillery (approx. ¼ mile away); George Spangler Farm (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Detachments of the 4th New Jersey at Gettysburg
During the Battle of Gettysburg, Companies A, C, and H of the regiment were detailed to the Provost Marshall. The other seven companies were used to guard the supply trains for the army.
    — Submitted November 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
4th New Jersey Volunteers Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
2. 4th New Jersey Volunteers Monument
Reserve Ammunition Trains Location image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
3. Reserve Ammunition Trains Location
The reserve ammunition trails, which were among the wagon and baggage trains guarded by seven detached companies of the 4th New Jersey, was stationed along Granite School House Road on July 3, 1863. The detached companies were posted generally to the south of the road on what is now private property.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,162 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=13333

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024