Heart of Sedona
Near the town’s crossroads our first commercial district, or ‘heart’ developed. The Hart Store had the first commercial electricity and the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp boys sat in front of the store on Saturday nights and counted cars. The Sedona School’s first teacher was the US Forest Ranger’s wife and when the school burned down classes were held at the Ranger Station.
After the road was re-routed in 1939, the historic ‘heart’ of Sedona became a sleepy back street neighborhood. Several historic resources continue to exist in this area, including Sedona’s oldest surviving structure – the Sedona Ranger Station residence, plus Hart store, a 1930s era post office building, two buildings built by the CCCs, and the still active Owenby irrigation ditch.
Erected by Sedona Historical Society.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cowboys (here, next to this marker); The First School (a few steps from this marker); Movie Productions (a few steps from this marker); Elvis Plays Sedona (a few steps from this marker); Sedona Schnebly (a few steps from this marker); Jessie "Bear" Howard (a few steps from this marker); Roads (within shouting distance of this marker); First Settlers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sedona.
Also see . . . City of Sedona to refurbish historic ranger station, barn. (Submitted on May 5, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Heart of Sedona.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 5, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.