Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
West Canfield Historic District
In 1813, Territorial Governor Lewis Cass purchased the Macomb farm. By 1818 he had acquired "80 arpents in depth" of land extending almost three miles inland from the Detroit River in the form of a narrow French ribbon farm. Cass died in 1866. In 1869 his daughters Matilda Cass Ledyard and Mary Cass Canfield subdivided block 98 and donated 100 feet for an avenue, which they named Canfield in memory of Mary's husband, Captain Augustus Canfield. Lewis Cass, Jr. subdivided block 100 on the north side of Canfield in 1871. Many of Detroit's most prominent attorneys, physicians, dentists and architects owned homes on West Canfield. In the 1880s the area became commonly known as Piety Hill because of the alleged social and moral character of its residents.
The West Canfield Historic District encompasses one block of West Canfield Avenue extending from Second Boulevard to Third Street. All of the houses in the district were built in the 1870s through the 1890s. The elaborate houses, with ornately carved wood and stone trim, reflect a variety of architectural styles including Gothic Revival, Italianate,
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S311.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 21.06′ N, 83° 4.002′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue and West Canfield Street, on the left when traveling north on Second Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Unitarian Universalist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mackenzie House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hilberry Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away); Thompson Home (approx. ¼ mile away); David Whitney, Jr. Residence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wayne State University (approx. 0.3 miles First Congregational Church of Detroit (approx. 0.4 miles away); Scarab Club (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
Also see . . . West Canfield Historic District. West Canfield Historic District website includes information about each of the homes and their owners. (Submitted on May 10, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 10, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.