New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Home of the New York Giants National Baseball League 1890–1957.
World Champions 1904 1905 1921 1922 1933 1954.
The Giants shared this field with the New York Yankees 1913–1922.
The New York Mets played here 1962–1963.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports.
Location. 40° 49.91′ N, 73° 56.27′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from West 159th Street just west of Frederick Douglass Boulevard (8th Avenue), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2991/2999 Eighth Avenue, New York NY 10039, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John T. Brush Stairway (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greg Marius Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sugar Hill Luminaries Lawn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holcombe Rucker Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morris-Jumel Mansion (approx. 0.2 Morris-Jumel Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Middle Redoubt of the American Army 1776 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Former American Female Guardian Societys Home for the Friendless (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. It is located on the grounds of the Polo Grounds Towers apartment complex.
Also see . . .
1. Polo Grounds IV. Tenants: New York Giants (NL) 1911-1957; New York Yankees (AL) 1913-1922; New York Mets (NL) 1962-1963 Opened: June 28, 1911 First night game: May 24, 1940 Last game: September 18, 1963 Capacity: 34,000 (1911); 55,000 (1923) Demolished: April 10, 1964” (Submitted on April 26, 2009.)
2. The Eddie Grant Memorial Plaque. This memorial plaque was originally located in the Polo Grounds. The plaque was removed when the New York Giants vacated the Polo Grounds in 1957. The whereabouts of the plaque were unknown until it was discovered in the attic of a Ho Ho Kus, NJ home in 1999. The San Francisco Giants installed a replacement plaque in AT&T Park which was built in 2000. (Submitted on May 29, 2010, by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2009, by Erik Lander of Brooklyn, New York. This page has been viewed 3,169 times since then and 56 times this year. Last updated on May 10, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1. submitted on April 26, 2009, by Erik Lander of Brooklyn, New York. 2. submitted on May 10, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on May 29, 2010, by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. 4. submitted on May 10, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.