Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Chatham Artillery
On the front, south side is inscribed:
To honor the members of the
Servants of God, Country,
State and Community
Soldiers in War
Patriots in Peace
On the east side is inscribed:
Chatham History 1786-1886
Organized May 1, 1786. Captain Edward Lloyd, former Sergeant Major at battle of Savannah was first commander. First duty in June 1786, was funeral honors for General Nathanael Greene.
Participated in Oconee wars 1789-1793. In 1792 George Washington, in appreciation for services rendered presented 2 cannon, one captured at Yorktown and one given by France. They are located on Bay Street east of City Hall.
Captain Josiah Tattnall was commander 1793-1794, later served in State Legislature, congress, and as Governor of Georgia.
In 1815 were federalized and assigned to Ft. Jackson on Savannah River. In May 1825 honor guard for Lafayette. In 1836 served in Florida during Second Seminole War.
In 1846 offered services in Mexican War, but not used. John Gallie commander 1849 later
In 1861 were ordered into service of the Confederacy when Georgia seceded, called to participate in capture of Fort Pulaski by Governor Brown. In 1862-63 they occupied defensive positions around Coffee Bluff, Green Island, Skidway Island, Ft. Jackson. In 1863 ordered to Charleston, S. C., served at Battery Wagner and Secessionville, S.C. In 1864 attached to 6th Georgia Regiment and participated in the successful repulse of Federal invasion of Florida at Battle of Olustee. In July 1864 they were sent back to Charleston. Early 1865 marched north to Greensboro, N. C. with General Johnson. They surrendered on April 26, 1865. Marched home as a unit.
Reorganized as State Militia on May 1, 1872. Celebrated on May 1, 1886 the 100th anniversary with a week of gala affairs. General John B. Gordon was in attendance.
On the north side ( inscribed the names of the) Commanders and Presidents of the unit from 1786 through 1986.
Edward Lloyd 1786 1790
Thomas Elfe Jr 1790 1793
Josiah Tattnall Jr 1793 1794
James Robertson 1794 1803
Benjamin Wall 1803 1811
Richard M Stites 1811 1813
Robert Mackay 1813 1815
William T Williams 1816 1824
Peter Blois 1824
Charles M King 1826 1832
Charles Stevens 1832 1849
John B Gallie 1849 1855
John E Ward 1855 1858
Joseph S Cleghorn 1858 1862
John F Wheaton 1862 1895
An additional 30 names through 1987
On the west side is inscribed:
Chatham History 1886-1986
During the period 1886-89 the Chathams were assigned local state duties. In 1888 purchased a site on Tybee for a club house and artillery practice. In 1889 joined other military units in memorial services for Jefferson Davis, firing a salute in his honor. In 1898 federalized for service in Spanish-American War. They served at Camp Northern in Griffin, GA. and at Camp Thomas in Chickamauga, GA. After nine months sent back to state control.
In 1916 Chathams were called for duty on the Mexican border to stop raids across the border by Pancho Villa. Trained at Camp Harris near Macon, GA. Five months training at El Paso, then released June 1917. Federalized for WW-I, training at Fort McPherson and Camp Wheeler, as part of the 31st Division. In July 1918 were sent to Camp Jackson, S.C. and then to France for combat duty with the Allied Forces.
In 1920 were reorganized as part of the First Field Artillery Regiment they were equipped with horse-drawn 75 mm guns. In 1922 were redesignated as the 118th Field Artillery
On September 16, 1940, were activated and sent to Ft. Jackson, S. C. as part of the 30th division. Sent to Camp Blanding, Fla. in 1942 and later to Camp Atterbury, Indiana. Arriving in England February 1944, they were trained extensively until D-Day plus four, when the division artillery was attached to the 29th Division for a short period, landing at Omaha Beach.
Were reunited with 30th Div. for the duration of War. The Chathams participated in all major battles from Normandy to Elbe River when Germany surrendered May 9, 1945. Major battles were St. Lo, Mortain, where Germans were stopped in their thrust to the coast; Domfront, breaching Siegfried Line; Battle of Bulge. Current assignment is HHB 118th FA. BDE, Georgia Army National Guard.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War of 1812 • War, Spanish-American • War, US Civil • War, World I • War, World II.
Location. 32° 4.859′ N, 81° 5.432′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on East Bay Street. At Emmet Park, near the Drayton St. ramp. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chatham Artillery's (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Chatham Artillery's (a few steps from this marker); Savannah City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of the University Of Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Railroad & Bank Bldg. (within shouting distance of this marker); Solomon's Lodge No. 1 F. & A.M Savannah, Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); The Invention of the Cotton Gin (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Savannah Cotton Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding The Chatham Artillery. In 1986, a light gray polished granite shaft with raking sides, slightly
larger at the top than the bottom, was placed in Emmet Park on
East Bay Street, opposite Price, by the Chatham Artillery.
The shaft is slightly larger at the top than the bottom, resting on a seven-foot square dark gray granite base on a ten foot square foundation. A bronze eagle with wings spread is mounted on the pedestal, on a slightly mounded unpolished top. The total height, eleven feet, is related to the Irish Monument which was erected
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, markers shown.
Also see . . . Historical Sketch of the Chatham Artillery During the Confederate Struggle. By Charles Colcock Jones (Submitted on November 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,239 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.