Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sitka in Sitka Borough, Alaska — Northwest
 

Sentinel of a Divided Town

 
 
Sitka Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Alvis Hendley, May 16, 2011
1. Sitka Blockhouse Marker
Inscription.  The replica blockhouse before you, a symbol of Russia's role in Alaska's history, represents the walled fortifications that defined the limits of its control.

These blockhouses, or watchtowers, each housing cannons, protected the Russian sentries from wind and rain as they guarded Novo-Archangelsk (present day Sitka).

Originally the Russians built capital D-shaped five-sided blockhouse on this site facing up Sitka Channel. It overlooked the gate between the Russian outpost and the adjacent Tlingit village. An octagonal blockhouse stood within sight of the crest of the hill, while at the far eastern end of the wall stood a small, square blockhouse by the stream flowing out of Swan Lake.

Maps indicate that the small, square blockhouse was removed soon after the 1867 transfer of Alaska from Russia to America. Badly rotted, the D-shaped blockhouse was dismantled in 1899, and the octagonal one was dismantled in 1921.

In 1926 civic-minded citizens, including the Alaska Native Brotherhood, raised funds and built an octagonal reproduction blockhouse at Sitka National Monument. After decay attacked that structure,
Sitka Blockhouse and Interpretive Placard image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Alvis Hendley, May 16, 2011
2. Sitka Blockhouse and Interpretive Placard
Click or scan to see
this page online
a second octagonal reproduction was built at this site in 1962.
 
Erected by Bureau of Land Management, Anchorage Field Office.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 57° 3.041′ N, 135° 20.317′ W. Marker is in Sitka, Alaska, in Sitka Borough. Marker can be reached from Kaagwaantaan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Kaagwaantaan Street, Sitka AK 99835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 250th Anniversary of the Bering- Chirikov Expedition (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forest Service House (about 500 feet away); Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall (about 500 feet away); Tilson Building (about 600 feet away); St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral (about 700 feet away); St. Michael's Cathedral (about 700 feet away); Sitka Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away); American Sitka (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sitka.
 
Sitka Blockhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Alvis Hendley, May 16, 2011
3. Sitka Blockhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on May 15, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=133826

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022