Sitka in Sitka Borough, Alaska — Northwest
In This Place
The first American flag was raised by a colorguard from Company F, 9th Infantry, to signify the transfer of Alaska from czarist Russia.
The first 49 star American flag was raised on July 4, 1959, by a colorguard from the First Battle Group 9th (Manchu) Infantry to signify the statehood of Alaska.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is October 18, 1867.
Location. 57° 2.918′ N, 135° 20.283′ W. Marker is in Sitka, Alaska, in Sitka Borough. The marker is located on Castle Hill. It can be reached by climbing a stairway from Lincoln Street near the Post Office, a moderne building which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sitka AK 99835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tilson Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Michael's Cathedral (about 700 feet away); Sentinel of a Divided Town (about 800 feet away); Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall 250th Anniversary of the Bering- Chirikov Expedition (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emmons House (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. National Register of Historic Places Listing #66000162. The American Flag Raising Site is part of Baranof Castle State Historic Site, is a National Historic Landmark, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.
The NRHP listing notes that: "This is is perhaps the most important historical property in Alaska. The American flag was raised here on 18 October 1867 to mark the formal transfer of Russian America to the United States, the first expansion by the United States into noncontiguous territory." (Submitted on May 16, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California.)
2. Castle Hill (Sitka, Alaska). Wikipedia entry:
Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the area, Castle Hill was occupied by families of the Kiksadi clan of Tlingits. Alexander Baranov, a leading figure in the Russian-American Company, arrived in the Sitka area in 1795, and sought to establish a trading post on the hill. He ended up establishing Redoubt St. Archangel Michael several miles away in 1799; this trading post was destroyed by the Tlingit in 1802. Baranov returned to Sitka in force in 1804, seized Castle Hill, from which the outnumbered Tlingit had withdrawn. After(Submitted on October 12, 2019.)
3. Alaska Purchase. Wikipedia entry:
First person account of the transfer “written by a blacksmith named T. Ahllund, who had been recruited to work in Sitka only less than two years previously:”
We had not spent many weeks at Sitka when two large steam ships arrived there, bringing things that belonged to the American crown, and a few days later the new governor also arrived in a ship together with his soldiers. The wooden two-story mansion of the Russian governor stood on a high hill, and in front of it in the yard at the end of a tall spar flew the Russian flag with the double-headed eagle in the middle of it. Of course, this flag now had to give way to the flag of the United States, which is full of stripes and stars. On a predetermined day in the afternoon a group of soldiers came from the American ships, led by one who carried the flag. Marching solemnly, but without accompaniment, they came to the governor's mansion, where the Russian troops were already lined up and(Submitted on October 12, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 25 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week October 13, 2019. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 3. submitted on October 12, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 4, 5. submitted on October 12, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.