Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Alexandria Almshouse
1908 Town of Potomac 1929
Alexandria purchased a large tract of land outside the city in 1800 and built the Almshouse over the next two years. The building served the needy for almost 125 years and provided temporary shelter during a tornado in 1927. The house was sold to Robert C. Frame in August 1928, and he reopened it as a six-room tourist hotel. When Frame defaulted on the mortgage, the City purchased the property back in March 1935. Eugene Smith Stadium was built on the land, and the Recreation Department used
The Civil War had little effect on the crowded Almshouse. In 1862, the keeper recorded 38 residents, plus 8 members of his own family, along with 3 horses, 2 cows, 1 bull, 19 hogs, 20 hens, 4 roosters, and 5 ducks. After the war, the land was also used by the City for other purposes, such as a dog kennel.
The Almshouse served many purposes: shelter for the needy, a work facility for petty criminals, and a holding place for others who ran afoul of the law.
The Almshouse was a two-and-one-half story, Georgian-style brick building with a full basement. Each floor was 3,350 square feet. For heat, the house originally had 18 fireplaces, but modern plumbing and boilers were eventually added. The June 1900 census showed superintendent William Smith and his wife residing there, along with 13 men and 15 women—totaling 15 whites and 13 blacks—as residents. The January 1920 census showed Joshua Sherwood, 70, as the head keeper, along with his wife, Mary and only 14 residents, 6 of them men, aged 44 to 58 and 7 women aged 47 to 78, as well as the youngest resident, a 23-year-old woman.
The Almshouse was originally situated in a rural area outside the City limits. The Town of Potomac (today's Del Ray) and the Potomac Yard railroad facility built up around the Almshouse property at the beginning of the 20th century. This view looks north in 1923 with the Almshouse in the foreground, near present-day intersection of E. Monroe Avenue and Richmond Highway (U.S. Route 1).
Erected 2008 by City of Alexandria.
Location. 38° 49.265′ N, 77° 3.221′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Monroe Avenue and Leslie Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Monroe Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 426 East Monroe Avenue, Alexandria VA 22301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potomac Yard in Transition (approx. ¼ mile away); The Rail Yard Hump (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crossroads of Transportation (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Washington High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Corporal Charles William Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mount Vernon Avenue (approx. half a mile away); The Town of Potomac (approx. half a mile away); Universal Lodge No. 1 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings • Women •
More. Search the internet for The Alexandria Almshouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.