Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pigeon Forge in Sevier County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Marcia Nelson
1. First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy Marker
Inscription.  First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge was initially part of the Pigeon Forge circuit in the Knoxville District of Holston Conference. Circuit riding preachers served this church, Huskey’s Grove, Pleasant Hill, Walden’s Creek and Wear’s Valley. Worshipers of varying denominations first gathered on alternating Sundays in the morning and at “early candle lighting” in the meeting house which was a log building used for school and worship nearby.

It is believed that a member of the William H. Trotter family donated land for the “Methodist Episcopal Church” which was organized in 1880. A white frame church was constructed around this same time, and by 1916, a parsonage had been built. After a church fire in 1919, reconstruction began immediately.

In 1867, John B. Emert deeded one-fourth of an acre for Union Academy School. It was a few feet south of the present-day church along the narrow river road leading through Pigeon Forge. The school name changed to Pigeon Forge Academy, and its curriculum was later extended to include high school courses. Following a few months of free school in the fall,
First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Marcia Nelson, April 29, 2019
2. First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy Marker
subscription school was offered. During the term which began in January 1898, tuition was on a graduated scale of one dollar to two dollars depending upon the grade. Those boarding in area homes paid six dollars per month. The last classes were held here in 1922. A new school was constructed near the canning factory as progress continued to expand east of the river.
 
Erected 2016 by City of Pigeon Forge in 2016.
 
Location. 35° 47.09′ N, 83° 33.078′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker is on Methodist Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Methodist St, Pigeon Forge TN 37863, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pigeon River Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pigeon Forge Elementary School/Pigeon Forge Canning Factory (approx. ¼ mile away); Pigeon Forge Iron Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Sevier County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Unionists Within the Confederacy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Pigeon Forge (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church Pigeon Forge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Broady Dairy (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Forge.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2019, by Marcia Nelson of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2019, by Marcia Nelson of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement