Titusville in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pennsylvania Petroleum Products
The Oil Creek Refining Company was founded by Dennis McGraw and incorporated in 1919-20.
It was a "home-owned” oil refinery and operated in East Titusville. The company was the first to market motor oil in refinery-sealed, disposable cans and invented the first Pennsylvania motor oil with zero-pour.
The Oil Creek Refining Company operated service stations in Titusville, Pleasantville, and Corry. In November 1935 it partnered with Standard Oil of Pennsylvania to sell Esso gasoline products at its service stations.
Socony-Vacuum bought out the Oil Creek Refining Company service stations in 1938 and the company was officially dissolved in July 1942
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° 37.095′ N, 79° 40.27′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tidewater (here, next to this marker); Atlantic Motor Oil (here, next to this marker); Amalie (here, next to this marker); Wolf's Head Oils and Lubes (here, next to this marker); Ida Tarbell (here, next to this marker); Valvoline (here, next to this marker); Penn-Drake Motor Oils (a few steps from this marker); Standard Oil Company (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • • Can you help?