Middleburg Heights in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Woodvale Union Cemetery
Woodvale Cemetery was established in the mid-1800s in Middleburgh Township, Ohio. The oldest marked grave holds Fred G. Klink (1833–1858), whose family donated a half acre of land for burials. In 1786, Frank M. Stearns (1832-1911) suggested the unnamed cemetery be called Woodvale, after the wooded vale beside it. In 1908, a fire destroyed the caretaker’s house and many cemetery records. Woodvale became a non-profit union cemetery in 1931, owned by Berea and the Village of Middleburg Heights and covering 33 acres at 7535 Engle Road. Pioneer families buried here: Fowles, Draft, Lovejoy, Sprague, and Stearns. Also buried here: John Baldwin (1788–1884) founder of Baldwin University and James Wallace (1878–1933) founder of German Wallace College (merged in 1913 to become Baldwin Wallace College).
Other notable burials here include William Engle (1814-1897), a constable, township trustee and school director who built the township’s first log house in 1848; Veterans of every U.S. war and some conflicts including Second Lt. Albert E. Baesel (1890-1918), a WWI soldier from the 148th Infantry Division who received
Erected 2010 by Woodvale Union Cemetery and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 99-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 21.565′ N, 81° 49.511′ W. Marker is in Middleburg Heights, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Fowles Road and Engle Road (Ohio Route 291), on the right when traveling west on Fowles Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adams Street Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Berea District Seven School (approx. 1.2 miles away); The “Big Quarry” (approx. 1.4 miles away); Berea Sandstone Quarries First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (approx. 1˝ miles away); Lyceum Square (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Berea Triangle (approx. 1˝ miles away); Ogilvy Chapel of St. Thomas Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Woodvale Then and Now. “Woodvale Cemetery has a charm of its own, with heavily landscaped areas and gardens on many of the graves. It is one of the few cemeteries in the area which allows owners of graves, with raised monuments, the opportunity to install flower gardens beside their monuments. ... Many families have created lovely, colorful, bordered gardens, dotted with solar lights and blooming flowers.” (Submitted on May 22, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 22, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.