Apalachee in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The name Apalachee is derived from the Indian Tribe that was part of the Creek Confederation, though there is no evidence that this tribe had ever settled in this area. The town of Apalachee was incorporated by the Georgia Legislature in 1907. However, this community has roots that are much older. The area around Apalachee was settled prior to 1820 and is considered to be one of the oldest communities in Morgan County. The community of Dogsborough predates the formal incorporation of Apalachee, and was the site of an early post office and dry goods store. Additionally, references to the community of Shields and Hulletto identify their locations in proximity to Apalachee along the railroad.
The Apalachee community has also been referred to as Florence. The Central Railroad came through Apalachee, the station was name Florence Depot in honor of local citizen; however, by the time of incorporation, the name "Apalachee" had been chosen. Subsequent references to the post office location, schools,
Though no longer incorporated, because of the Individuals who took pride in this community, Apalachee is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2008 by Morgan County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Education • Entertainment • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 41.374′ N, 83° 26.144′ W. Marker is in Apalachee, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Lower Apalachee Road 0 miles east of Shockley Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the restored old school building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flat Rock (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mallory (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bostwick (approx. 5.6 miles away); Progressive Experiment (approx. 6˝ miles away); Vernacular Construction (approx. 6.6 miles away); Madison Train Station (approx. 6.6 miles away); Madison Station (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Town Park (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,139 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.