Long Leaf Depot
This Location is the site of the Long Leaf Depot
The depot was built on this site about 1906 as a joint agency of the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern RR and the Red River and Gulf RR. Both shared expenses equally, and the RR&G provided housing for the agent in the house on your left as you enter the museum grounds.
Glenmora and McNary both had larger depots than Long Leaf. Glenmora depot was probably built shortly after the railroad started the town in 1893. McNary boasted the largest depot, a two story affair with the agents quarters on the second story. It was also a jopint agency being shared by the Glenmora and Western RR. The picture was taken on the day that the Cady Lumber Co. of McNary moved its employees from McNary, LA to its new operation at McNary, Arizona in 1925.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 0.318′ N, 92° 33.615′ W. Marker is in Long Leaf, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Long Leaf
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Commissary (a few steps from this marker); Across The Tracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Straddle Truck (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Jitney" (about 600 feet away); Long Leaf Planer Mill (about 700 feet away); "Loggers Dream" (about 700 feet away); Lumber Transfer (about 700 feet away); Lumber Carts (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Leaf.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Southern Forest Heritage Museum
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2019.