Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Friendsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Friendsville School 1891-1924

 
 
Friendsville School 1891-1924 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 24, 2019
1. Friendsville School 1891-1924 Marker
Inscription.  In 1891 the old log house that was used as the school (located in the vicinity of the Methodist Church on Water Street) became too small for the growing student population and the School Board purchased a 1/2 acre lot on Water Street from John T. and Priscilla Garey for $125. In 1892 the two room school was completed and Alpheus Welch fenced the lot for a price of $46. The school house contained 180 square feet of blackboard and in 1900 it is believed that Friendsville was the fastest growing school in the county school system.

In the Fall of 1902, F.G. Fox put an addition on the school for a total of $992. In 1903, Cell Cuddington sunk a well at the school and the School Board insured the school for $1,000. In 1905, the janitor got a raise from $8 to $10 and in 1925, the County High School at Friendsville was established. The fall enrollment in 1907 was 124 and by 1912 the enrollment had expanded to 165. In 1906 The State Board of Education extended the required course of High School study from three to four years. In 1924 the local School Board increased the amount of fire insurance to $5,000, but later that same year the foundation
Friendsville School 1891-1924 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 24, 2019
2. Friendsville School 1891-1924 Marker
was permanently damaged by the infamous flood of 1924.

Friendsville Schools 1928 to Present
Because of the flood damage, a new brick school building was built on the west side of the river in 1928 for a total cost of $46,000. Demaree Inflatable Boats took over this building in 1982 with operations that continue to this day. In 1976 the current elementary school opened on First Avenue near the orginal site of Gabriel Friend's farm and orchard called "Look Sharp."
 
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area Authority. (Marker Number 14.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Friendsville History Tour series list.
 
Location. 39° 39.692′ N, 79° 24.294′ W. Marker is in Friendsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is at the intersection of Oak Street and 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 Oak Street, Friendsville MD 21531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Railroad Era and Hotels (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lost Settlement of Kendall (about 700 feet away); Friendsville Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank, Leslie Friend Store & Military Honors
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Yough Motors, Confectionary and Bandstand (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Unique Milling Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morris Avenue and Maple Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Riverside Hotel & Knights of Pythias (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 22, 2020