The commissary was the social heart of any lumber or logging town. It handled all the necessities of life and also served as a meeting place for the various families, and off duty workers.
This is the third commissary on this site at Longleaf. It was build in 1948 to replace the 1913 commissary which was destroyed in a fire set by an arsonist. The same fire also destroyed the Crowell office building which occupied the site of the present parking lot. The safe from the office building, located on the east side of this building is the only thing that survived this fire.
Inside this building were basically only three rooms, the main store, the storage area in the rear and the small coffee shop in the far corner.
The coffee shop, being built in 1948 is a reminder of the racial segregation laws that were in effect in the southern states at the time. Black workers entered by a side door, ordered their food, and then went outside to eat. White workers ordered and ate inside at either the lunch counter or a pair of tables along the wall.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic
Location. 31° 0.325′ N, 92° 33.606′ W. Marker is in Long Leaf, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker can be reached from Long Leaf Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longleaf LA 71448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Long Leaf Depot (a few steps from this marker); Across The Tracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Straddle Truck (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Jitney" (about 600 feet away); Long Leaf Planer Mill (about 600 feet away); "Loggers Dream" (about 700 feet away); Lumber Transfer (about 700 feet away); Lumber Carts (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Leaf.
More about this marker. Located at the entrance to commissary, which is also the indoor museum and admission location for the Southern Forest Heritage Museum site. Admission required.
Also see . . . Museum Website. (Submitted on May 27, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2019.