Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Artesian Park and Sulphur Well

 
 
Artesian Park and Sulfur Well Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, May 23, 2019
1. Artesian Park and Sulfur Well Marker
Inscription.  After a convention of Republic of Texas citizens accepted terms on July 4, 1845, for annexation to the United States, General Zachary Taylor brought 4,000 men of the U.S. 3rd infantry to Corpus Christi to defend the embryonic state from Indians or foreign powers. He remained eight months; more than two months after Texas became a state he marched to the Rio Grande. Among his troops in Corpus Christi were three future United States presidents (Taylor, Pierce, and Grant), and many other future celebrities. A landmark of Taylor's sojourn was a sulphur-rich artesian well he had drilled adjacent to the camp.

In 1854, out of regard for the significant well and campsite, and to give the city he had founded (1839) a public park, H.L. Kinney deeded and dedicated the well site and an acre of surrounding land to the municipality. This park is one of the earliest in Texas to have been given by an individual to the public. By 1900—when a bandstand, drinking fountain and walks had been installed by civic or private means—the park was regarded as an historic, greatly cherished city facility. More land was added in 1907-08 through efforts
Artesian Park and Sulfur Well image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, May 23, 2019
2. Artesian Park and Sulfur Well
The back of the marker can be seen near the center of the picture near the gazebo
of the Woman's Monday Club. Use and improvements have continued over 120 years.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 213.)
 
Location. 27° 47.974′ N, 97° 23.66′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on Twigg Street east of Mesquite Street (State Highway 544), on the right when traveling east. You must look carefully to see the back of the marker, it is near the gazebo and faces away from the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 524 Twigg Street, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nueces County Courthouse of 1914 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Salt Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Nueces Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lone Star Fair (approx. 0.2 miles away); Broadway Bluff Improvement (approx. mile away); Selena Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Bayview Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Explosion of the Steamship Dayton (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
 
Categories. Parks & Recreational AreasWar, Texas Independence
 

More. Search the internet for Artesian Park and Sulphur Well.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement