Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

3010 Minnehaha Avenue South: Fire Station No. 21

The Museum in the Streets: Minneapolis, Minnesota

 

— 27th and Lake: Industry and Transportation Infrastructure —

 
3010 Minnehaha Avenue South: Fire Station No. 21 marker image. Click for full size.
By McGhiever, May 26, 2019
1. 3010 Minnehaha Avenue South: Fire Station No. 21 marker
Inscription.  The story of Fire Station No. 21 begins in 1894, when fire engines were large wagons pulled by a team of horses that transported firemen and equipment. Until 1901, the station had only a "chemical engine," an extinguisher unit meant to contain the fire until steamers and hose wagons arrived from a better equipped station. By 1912, the station had grown to house 13 firefighters, seven horses, and a combined chemical and hose wagon. For most of the fire station's existence, residents reported fires through alarm boxes placed around the neighborhood. The Minneapolis Fire Department occupied the building until 1961. During a 1999 renovation of the building, the original firehouse floor was revealed, its 12-inch-wide oak planks still bearing the impressions of horseshoes.

La historia de Fire Station No. 21 comienza en 1894, cuando los camiones de bomberos consistían en carretas a caballo que transportaban bomberos y equipo. Hasta 1901, la estación contaba con solo un camió "químico" de bomberos, un extintor para contener el incendio hasta que llegara la máquina de vapor y carretas a caballo desde una estación mejor equipada. En 1912, la estación

Marker with former Fire Station No. 21 across the street image. Click for full size.
By McGhiever, June 8, 2019
2. Marker with former Fire Station No. 21 across the street
ya incluía 13 bomberos, siete caballos, y una carreta con equipo químico y mangueras. Por mucha de su existencia, se reportaban incendios por cajas de alarma instaladas por el barrio. El Minneapolis Fire Department ocupó el edificio hasta 1961. Durante su renovación en 1999, se encontró el piso original de la estación, sus tablas de roble aún marcando la impresión de las herraduras.

This panel is sponsored by the Longfellow Community Council
 
Erected 2012 by Lake Street Council. (Marker Number 6.)
 
Location. 44° 56.887′ N, 93° 14.034′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is on Minnehaha Avenue S. near E. Lake Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2613 E Lake Street, Minneapolis MN 55406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3012 Minnehaha Avenue South: Lauritzen Wagon and Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); Longfellow School (a few steps from this marker); 2701 East Lake: International Order of Odd Fellows (within shouting distance of this marker); 2629 East Lake: Minnehaha Grill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Snelling Avenue: African American Community (about 500 feet away);

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
2721-23 East Lake: Lake Theater (about 500 feet away); 2730 East 31st Street: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away); The Museum in the Streets: Minneapolis, Minnesota (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minneapolis.
 
Additional keywords. Firefighting
 
Categories. Government & Politics
 

More. Search the internet for 3010 Minnehaha Avenue South: Fire Station No. 21.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2019, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on May 27, 2019, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota.   2. submitted on June 8, 2019, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement