Murdo in Jones County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Its first postmaster was John R. McClain, named March 6, 1904; its newspaper, The Coyote, arrived on a wagon from Moore on May 18th, beating the railroad which set its last spike on Murdo townsite 22 June at 8:11 A.M.; all of which preceded the grand opening lot sale on 12 July, when the First State Bank, ancestor of the Jones County State Bank, was the first edifice in Murdo, arriving from shanty town on Stratton's claim just as night fell.
It was 1823 when that Famous Trail Blazer of the West, Jedediah Smight, enroute to Montana from Ft. Kiowa, first saw Jones County and it was also on the American Fur Post trail from the Little White to Ft. Pierre Choteau.
The first county hereabouts was called Mercer by the 1873 legislature, who, after taking a deep breath, planked
Another thing, Time shifts here from Central to Mountain but Murdo runs on Central time.
Erected 1956 by Jones County Bank and State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 158.)
Location. 43° 53.192′ N, 100° 42.809′ W. Marker is in Murdo, South Dakota, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street (State Highway 248) and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Murdo SD 57559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Reading Brands/Murdo Mackenzie Roadside Park (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Murdo Mackenzie.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.