Peninsula in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
John Eisenmann / Boston Township Hall
Boston Township Hall. In 1887, John Eisenmann designed this stick-style building for the Peninsula Board of Education so that it could consolidate two one-room school houses. The Peninsula and the Boston Township Boards of Education merged in 1919. The brick addition, designed by architects Harpster and Bliss, was built in 1920. The trustees of Boston Township purchased this property in 1939 from the Board of Education. Union Grange #2380 occupied the first floor for nearly 50 years. The non-profit Boston Township Hall Committee,
Erected 2011 by Boston Township and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 43-77.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 14.488′ N, 81° 33.268′ W. Marker is in Peninsula, Ohio, in Summit County. Marker is on Main Street (Ohio Route 303) just east of Riverview Road (County Route 9), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1775 Main St, Peninsula OH 44264, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert L. Hunker (within shouting distance of this marker); Peninsula Village Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Linking the Wilderness to the World (approx. 1˝ miles away); Boston Mills Road Bridge (approx. 1˝ miles away); A New Champion for an Old Canal (approx. 1˝ miles away); Boston Store (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Development of Valley Industry (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Peninsula.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for John Eisenmann(Submitted on May 29, 2019.)
1. Peninsula Grange
As a child growing up in Peninsula in the 1950's I was told this building was the "old Grange Hall."
— Submitted July 28, 2020, by Robin Garrett of Marshallton, Pennsylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 29, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 7. submitted on August 19, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.