Edgerton in Williams County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Edgerton Town Hall & Park Opera House
Edgerton was settled beside the St. Joseph River when the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad was completed in 1854. The village was incorporated on December 4, 1865, and named for Alfred P. Edgerton, who donated the land for the park. He was an agent for Hicks & Company, a land speculation business. The firm of Von Behren & Shaffer built the town hall and opera house in 1884 for $7,998. The building and park became a hub of local activity. The park's bandstand showcased the Edgerton Village Band and citizens gathered for picnics and festivities.
The opera house hosted many community events: concerts, plays, elections, court, lectures, commencements, dances, meetings, basketball games and traveling drama troupes, and featured a stage and a three-arch balcony of polished oak. Autographs of dozens of performers and speakers appearing from the 1890s to the early 1920s filled the wall behind the ticket booth. In 1925, the school built a new auditorium and many events relocated there. The opera house, appearing much as it had in 1884, was eventually abandoned. The village government vacated the
Erected 2018 by Edgerton Historical Society; Edgerton Pythian Sisters of St. Joe #449; Edgerton Village; Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 10-86.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 26.896′ N, 84° 44.867′ W. Marker is in Edgerton, Ohio, in Williams County. Marker is at the intersection of South Michigan Street (U.S. 6) and East Indiana (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling north on South Michigan Street. marker is in Edgerton Village Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 South Michigan Ave, Edgerton OH 43517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edgerton Civil War Monument (here, next to this marker); Edgerton Fire Bell (a few steps from this marker); Cedar Hill Farm (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bryan Veterans Memorial (approx. Rail Speed Record (approx. 10.4 miles away); Bryan's Air Mail Field (approx. 10½ miles away); Land Office Building (approx. 10.8 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgerton.
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Entertainment •
More. Search the internet for Edgerton Town Hall & Park Opera House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 29, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.