Fall Road Carnegie Library / Leabharlann Carnegie na bhFál
The Gaeltacht Quarter / An Cheathrú Ghaeltachta
It is appropriate that the Gaeltacht Quarter, a place that is alive with language, should be home to one of the finest Carnegie libraries in Belfast. Carnegie libraries were built in the early part of the 20th century with money donated by the Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. In total, more than 2,500 such libraries were built world-wide.
The Falls Road branch (1905-08) is one of three Carnegie libraries in Belfast. The others are situated on the Oldpark Road (1905-06) and Donegall Road (1907-09). They were all designed by architects, Graham-Watt and Tulloch. The Falls Road branch opened on 2 January 1908 and is a fine example of the English Classical style. Spandrel angels over the entrance are by the gifted Irish artist, sculptor and writer, Rosamund Praeger (1867-1954). Praeger also designed the female figure plaques of 'Art' and 'Literature' on the front door. Attention to detail continues inside, with fine art nouveau ironwork on the stairway.
Conway Mill (1842), formerly the Falls Flax Spinning Company, is one of the earliest mechanical flax spinning mills in Belfast. It stands as a testament
Clonard Monastery (1898-1900) is nearby on Clonard Gardens. Designed in the Gothic Revival style by J.J. McDonnell, this handsome four storeyed, red brick building adjoins McDonnell's ecclesiastical masterpiece, the Roman Catholic Church of the Most Holy Redeemer (1908-11). Built in the French Gothic style, the church's interior is richly ornamented, with striking mosaics along the nave by Gabriel Loire of Chartes. A rose window, 22 feet in diameter, crowns the entrance doors.
For insight to Belfast's Irish language arts and culture, visit Chultúrlann McAdam Ó Fiaich. Located in a former Presbyterian church on the Falls Road, it is the hub of Belfast's vibrant and fast growing Irish language community. An Chultúrlann's cosmopolitan atmosphere and its reputation for excellent food have made it an established meeting place for international travellersand backpackers, as well as celebrities visiting Belfast.
[Illustration captions, from top to bottom, read]
• Carnegie Library Circa 1923
• Andrew Carnegie
• Conway Mill
Erected by the City of Belfast.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries 📚 series list.
Location. 54° 35.88′ N, 5° 57.158′ W. Marker is in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Marker is at the intersection of Falls Road (Northern Ireland Route A501) and Sevastopol Street, on the left when traveling east on Falls Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49 Falls Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT12 4PD, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Séamus Mac Roibín / Seamus Robinson (a few steps from this marker); Michael O'Dwyer, Paddy Loughran, and Pat McBride (a few steps from this marker); Bobby Sands MP (a few steps from this marker); Pat (Beág) McGeown (a few steps from this marker); Máire Drumm (within shouting distance of this marker); The Chronicles of a People (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Abhainn na Feirste / River Belfast
Also see . . .
1. Fall Road Library Website. (Submitted on May 29, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. 100 special years at Falls Road Library (Belfast Telegraph, 2008). (Submitted on May 29, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Conway Mill, Belfast. (Submitted on May 29, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Visit Belfast. (Submitted on May 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.