Long Leaf in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Long Leaf Sawmill
1900 to 1957
This sawmill is the third sawmill built at Long Leaf. It replaced the initial steam powered sawmill at this location, which was built between 1893 and 1895 and burned on October 1, 1900. That mill was the second located here, replacing the earliest mill which was a water powered mill, located across the railroad tracks, in the valley of Barbers Creek. This first mill was built by Hadley E. Dyer, sometime in the middle 1880's and was leased by Crowell and Spencer, in April, 1893 to start the development of Long Leaf. As Long Leaf developed, Crowell & Spencer then purchased the site in 1901.
The current mill was built to house the salvaged equipment from the burned mill, but was enlarged and rebuilt in 1910, 1920, 1936 and 1944, before being converted to electricity in 1957. Originally the mill was a dual circular saw mill with a capacity of 80,000 board feet per day, but in 1910 the initial boilers were replaced with 4 boilers, and the long side band saw replaced one of the circular saws, raising ' the capacity to 100,000 board feet per day. In 1920, 2 additional boilers were added, and in 1936, a large water tube boiler was added by remodeling
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 31° 0.328′ N, 92° 33.423′ W. Marker is in Long Leaf, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker can be reached from Long Leaf Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longleaf LA 71448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Long Leaf Sawmill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Long Leaf Sawmill (here, next to this marker); Red River and Gulf RR Locomotive #106 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The McGiffert Log Loader (about 300 feet away); Lumber Transfer (about 500 feet away); The "Roundhouse", The Machine Shop and the "Car Knockers Shed" (about 500 feet away); "Loggers Dream" (about 500 feet away); Straddle Truck (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Leaf.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Southern Forest Heritage Museum, Admission required.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 1, 2019. 2. submitted on June 1, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.