Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Purchased in 1832 by
Henry Daingerfield and enlarged.
St. Mary's Academy 1889 - 1943
Restored in 1978 by
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh E. Witt
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 38° 48.237′ N, 77° 2.886′ W. Marker was in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker was on Prince Street east of South Columbus Street, on the right when traveling east. It has been replaced by a new marker in the same location where this marker was located. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 712 Prince Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Swann-Daingerfield House (here, next to this marker); The Patton-Fowle House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lyceum (within shouting distance of this marker); Bayne-Fowle House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct The Methodist Episcopal Congregation of Alexandria (about 400 feet away); Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (about 400 feet away); The Alexandria Lyceum (about 500 feet away); Christ Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
Regarding Swann-Daingerfield House. This house is a private residence. It was formerly/historically at 706 Prince Street. In 2019 this property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was listed as a Registered Virginia Historic Landmark.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.