Barclay in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The North Avenue Poly Building
Baltimore City Landmark
"You didn't go to Poly, you joined it." Such is the proud attitude of many Baltimoreans associated with this school, long considered to have one of the best college preparatory programs in the country. Conceived in 1883, the school opened its doors on March 3, 1884 as a free vocational institute known as Baltimore Manual Training School. A few years later, the curriculum was broadened to include engineering, mathematics and the sciences, and the school was renamed Baltimore Polytechnic Institute.
For many years, Poly conducted classes in a building on Courtland Street (now St. Paul Place) between Saratoga and Pleasant. In 1909, the School Board bought the Maryland School for the Blind Building, located on North Avenue and Calvert. The East and West Wings, designed by Baldwin & Pennington, were added in 1912.
In 1931, the Center Wing replaced the original Maryland School for the Blind building; the auditorium adjacent to Guilford Avenue and the front terraces were added at the same time. The resulting complex, designed by Charles Anderson, is a good example of urban school design prevalent in the early twentieth century.
Erected by Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, Sponsor; Baltimore Polytechnic Institute Centennial Committee, Sponsor; City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, Mayor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 3, 1884.
Location. 39° 18.706′ N, 76° 36.786′ W. Marker is in Barclay in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East North Avenue (U.S. 1) east of North Calvert Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East North Avenue, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. Ό mile away); Goucher Hall (approx. Ό mile away); Pennsylvania Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ouija Board (approx. 0.4 miles away); Green Mount Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Entering the Automobile Age: The Horseless Revolution (approx. half a mile away); 9/11 Memorial Garden (approx. half a mile away); The Lyric Theatre (approx. half a mile away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.